In response to the approximately 200 homes being developed to support the new U.S. Steel Corporation residents of the Fairless Hills community met to discuss the creation of a Fire Company. After two preliminary gatherings the charter members met on December 10, 1951, to approve the adoption of its new Constitution and to elect temporary officers. John F O'Hear was elected President and W.B. Trimble Fire Chief.
The Company was incorporated in March of 1952. Danherst Corporation then donated a 1923 Seagrave Pumper, which was rated at 1,400 gpm. The Danherst Corporation also included use of the original Fire House building, 950 feet of 2½" hose and various nozzles and fittings. Constant maintenance was required to keep the Seagrave pumper in operation. Due to the age of the pumper it would not pass the underwriter's test, so it was imperative that a more satisfactory fire engine be purchased if the community was to enjoy the benefits of a lower fire insurance rates. Early in 1952 the original unit 310 Ward LaFrance 750 gpm pumper was delivered to Fairless Hills.
During 1953 the Fire House was enlarged and a steam heating system, was installed by the members. In the fall of the same year the Seagrave pumper earned her place in the Hall of Fame by pumping continuously at Curtiss Lake for 72 hours to supply Fairless Hills with water when the original pumping equipment broke down.
In 1955, the company designed and ordered a combination ladder and squad truck. It was built by Edgar Road Tank Works in Linden, N.J., and was delivered in March of 1956. Also in 1955 the company spent thousands of man hours rendering aid and protection during and after the flood in Yardley, after Hurricane Diane.
In 1956 radios were installed in all trucks and sirens were now set off by radio from Falls Township Police Headquarters. In the fall of 1956 disaster struck our company with the wreck of the Ward LaFrance and the injury of four men. However the company quickly rallied and a new Mack 750 gpm pumper was ordered and delivered in April of 1957.
In January of 1957 we received a Jeep Station Wagon from U.S. Steel and purchased a boat and trailer to assist in rescues on local bodies of water.
In May of 1957 the Seagrave Pumper was retired and sold, and in its place the Fire Company purchased the 1945 Diamond T Pumper, which had been on loan from Mack Trucks while waiting for the new pumper to be delivered.
Early in 1958 a building committee was established and by the end of the year plans had been drawn up for a beautiful new building on Hood Boulevard. Original estimates were around $90,000 but with extras and inflation the final cost of the building was $143,000. Due to problems associated with securing the deed construction was put off until August 1959. On Monday, August 17th ground was broken for the firehouse, and after many delays due to the Steel Strike the cornerstone was laid December 27, 1959. All local organizations and churches were invited to put tokens into the box.
Finally on May 7, 1960 we moved into the firehouse, and we held a parade and dedication on August 6 & 7, 1960. The Fairless Hills Fire Company was one of the very few fully sprinklered firehouses in the United States.
In November of 1960 bids were sent out on a new pumper and on July 11, 1961, we accepted delivery on a new Mack 1,000 gpm pumper. The Diamond T pumper was traded in at this time to Mack and sold by them. The new 311 was dedicated to the Ladies Auxiliary of the Fairless Hills Fire Company at a Parade in August 1961.
In 1961 committees were formed to raise money in the new hall, and activities included Roller Skating, Catering, Teen Dances, Adult Dances and Parties, and Bingo. Some of these activities are still successful such as Catering while others were not successful or only marginally so.
In April of 1962 a truck committee was again formed and specifications were drawn up for a utility/special service. In October of 1962 the International Pickup was delivered, and the Jeep wagon was sold.
In May of 1965 a committee was formed to suggest ways of adding storage space to the firehouse. This addition finally became 2 extra bays and a new recreation room for the firemen and was finished in May of 1967. In 1966 a deposit was placed on a 75' aerial from the Lehighton Fire Co. Also in 1966 we ordered a new American LaFrance 1,000 gpm pumper with a diesel engine, and it was delivered in March of 1967. The ladder truck from Lehighton was purchased in May of 1967. Also the 1956 International Aerial was converted into a Heavy Rescue and put it service in 1967.
In September of 1969 a committee was formed for a new addition for storage space, and by September of 1970 this addition was finished, finally giving the company the storage needed for all the equipment necessary to operate a Fire Company this size.
In 1971 a committee was formed to purchase a new pumper and after many meetings the company decided to buy two pumpers and sell both the 1957 Mack pumper, and the 1967 American LaFrance Pumper. The LaFrance was sold in early 1972 to the city of Wilmar, Minnesota. The two new Mack Diesel Pumpers were delivered in June of 1972.
The station went through many upgrades and renovations over the years. In 1985, an addition was put on the rear of the building, which included a Chief's Office, President's Office, work bay, and engineer's room on the first floor, with a meeting/classroom on the second floor above the offices. In 1988, the old Engineer's Room was converted to a "Bunk Room" for the new created "Bunk In" program. This was a young group of firefighters who gave up the comforts of home to sleep at the fire station, reducing our response time at night significantly. In 1992, in anticipation of a New Rescue Truck which was much longer and taller than the previous one, the fire company had to move the game room from the rear of the newest bay, over to the rear of the middle bay. This new game room/lounge proved to be too small, so the company decided to put a second floor above the apparatus service bay and relocate the Bunk Room upstairs, allowing the new lounge to be expanded into what used to be the bunk room.
In 1992 the company took delivery of the new Spartan/Salisbury Rescue truck. However, also in 1994 the Fire Company, facing dwindling membership decided to reduce their fleet by 1 pumper.
In 1997 the company decided to sell the marine unit due to a lack of calls requiring this piece of equipment. In September of 2001, the company took delivery of a new Pierce ladder. In September of 2005, the company took delivery of its newest apparatus a Seagrave Pumper. The 2005 Seagrave Pumper has a 2000 GPM pump, 750 Gal. water tank, 50 gal. foam tank, and a 6 man cab. The Fire Company currently maintains 2 Pumpers, a 105' Aerial/Pumper combination, a Heavy Fire-Rescue, a Utility, and 2 Chief's vehicles.
|1923 Seagrave Pumper||1952-1957|
|1952 Ward LaFrance Pumper||1952-1956|
|1956 International Aerial||1956-1967|
|1957 Mack 750 gpm Pumper||1957-1972|
|1952 Jeep Station Wagon||1957-1962|
|1945 Diamond T Pumper||1957-1961|
|1961 Mack 1,000 gpm Pumper||1961-1987|
|1962 International Pickup||1962-1982|
|1967 American LaFrance Pumper||1967-1972|
|1952 American Lafrance Aerial||1967-1977|
|1956 International Rescue (Converted Aerial Truck)||1967-1976|
|1972 Mack Diesel Pumper||1972-1994|
|1972 Mack Diesel Pumper||1972-1996|
|1976 Mack/Swab Rescue||1976-1992|
|1977 Maxim Ladder||1977-2001|
|1982 Chevy/Reading Pick-up||1982-1992|
|1987 Mack 1750 gpm Pumper||1987-2005|
|1991 Sparatan/Salisbury Rescue||1991-2010|
|1992 Ford Extended Cab Pick-up||1992-|
|1996 Seagrave 2,000 gpm Pumper||1996-2016|
|2001 Pierce Ladder||2001-|
|2005 Seagrave 2,000 gpm Pumper||2005-2016|
|2010 Pierce Rescue Pumper||2010|
|2016 Pierce Pumper||2016|
|2017 Ford Extended Cab Pick-up||2017|